This may be strange, but in my mind there is just something about Spring weather and sushi that go hand in hand. Alycia and I are long overdue for a sushi date, so for lunch yesterday I decided to bring our favorite dish to us: Sushi Pizza.
Sushi Pizza may very well be one of my favorite foods on earth. The formula is typically a simple three layers of yum:
- Some sort of ‘crust’: at home in NJ this is similar to the shell of an eggroll, at our favorite Sushi Pizza spot in the city it’s a scallion pancake.
- The filler. I've had Sushi Pizza with a middle layer of rice, and Sushi Pizza with seaweed salad. The one pictured above just had a layer of spicy mayo. Anything delicious to sit between the crust and the sushi will do. I prefer the rice, but my diet prefers the seaweed.
- Sushi – and lots of it. Tuna, salmon, etc. is evenly layered atop the middle layer, and then drizzled with spicy mayo or other special sauces.
- Fuji – My mom bought me my first Sushi Pizza here and the obsession began.
- Fatty Fish – My neighborhood spot. It is very dangerous to have this place less than a quarter mile from my apartment.
- Biny Japanese Restaurant – When I just can’t stand not having Sushi Pizza in my life, I order it for lunch at work from here.