To kick off June, we're going with one of the most fun, delicious, happy, fruits around:
Summer is right around the corner (June 20th!), and I don't know about you, but strawberries = summer in my book.
Strawberry...smoothies, shortcake, rhubarb pie, sorbet, daiquiris! The possibilities are endless, and we're ready to get summer started!
Check out these stats:
- One cup of strawberries (about eight medium-sized berries) yields 150 percent daily value (DV) of vitamin C. That’s a lot of vitamin C for only 50 calories!*
- Two years ago, data revealed by researchers at Ohio State University’s Comprehensive Cancer Center concluded that seven common berries, including strawberries, prevented certain cancers from developing in in rodents.*
- Strawberries are also relatively high in fiber. One cup provides 3 grams, or 12 percent DV...and
- have a low glycemic load; they will likely NOT make your blood sugar levels spike and then subsequently crash.* (Just watch the whipped cream!)
- *fun facts courtesy of Mother Nature Network.
In related news - we also have a goal of the month: Eat Whole Foods.
It's easy, inexpensive, nutritious - and most of all, tasty - especially with strawberries!
Whole foods are loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals - and with many whole foods come antioxidants too! This is not only related to veggies and fruits either - any dietitian would agree that eating a skinless chicken breast is more "whole" (and healthier) than processed chicken nuggets.
Imagine how good you'll be feeling at the end of June eating so many tasty whole foods!